I find this chart extremely thought provoking. It illustrates a huge change in American society over the course of my life. Very roughly 10% of the male working age population no longer work. Each time we have a recession a few percentage points never return to the work force.
A few insta-theories:
- The discriminatory wage differential means women are cheaper. As employers overcome their prejudice against women in more roles they are displacing men from those roles.
- The shift toward a service economy has created roles that employer’s tend to fill with women rather then men.
- The complementary unpaid home child rearing role is increasingly acceptable, desirable, or the best option and so is filled by men.
- An increasingly large swath of the low end labor performed by men takes place off the books, i.e. in a gray market.
- Men are inherently lazy bastards and as the standard of living has risen 10% of them have puzzled out how to act out on that.
More insta-theories? Please.